Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl


All right, I should never do this, but I’m going to give a prediction for today’s game. I’m always wrong about these things, but here goes:

Green Bay 27, Pittsburgh 24

Okay, everyone says it’s gonna be a close game. Both teams have their strengths and weaknesses, and each one’s strength and weakness is different from the other’s. That should make for a nailbiter. From the analysis I’ve listened to, I agree; it all makes sense.

That’s the conventional wisdom. If it’s a blow-out it will probably be Pittsburgh’s doing. I can’t see Green Bay running up the score and not having one of the league’s best clutch quarterbacks leading his team right down the field and into the end zone. But Green Bay is on fire, Aaron Rodgers especially. So that’s why I’m giving the slight edge to them today.

But I will be wrong; that’s the only sure bet here.

The problem is, here at the LE household, we have a guest from Pittsburgh (!) staying with us. My wife’s best friend. And she brought her Terrible Towels, her Steelers jersey, some big yellow-and-black Steelers cookies for the little ones, and Steeler medallions for them to wear.

I really have no stake in the game either way, really. Well, maybe just a little bit. The Steelers did knock out New York two weeks ago. Plus, Big Ben is a bit of a womanizing jerk, if only half of all those reports over the years about him are accurate. And, Pittsburgh was in it two years ago, and I kinda like to see the underdogs win in these big games.

So, I’m about 55-45 leaning towards Green Bay today. Which makes our houseguest view this as an act of utter betrayal.

What can I say? I have to be true to my gut. Even when it’s wrong 99 percent of the time.

No comments: