Friday, January 31, 2014

January: Good Riddance


Okay, January 2014 has come and gone with such incredible speed I can’t believe I lived its 2,678,400 seconds. Can you? Seriously, this has to have been the fastest month on record. Who’s Einstein’s heir, because I need to call him – I’ve a sneaking suspicion someone’s fiddling around with the whole relativistic time/space continuum.

What happened to warp the passage of time so severely?

Well, they say massive bodies tend to bend spacetime continuum, and certainly my grandmother was massive, larger-than-life, and exuded her fair amount of pull on my family’s four-dimensional existence. She passed away January 2nd and the funeral was held five days later. I’ve written about it here a-plenty.

Work has been off the scale, stress-wise. How computers and computer systems dominate the way we do business in the twentieth century! I’ve been working since late October to completely overhaul two major software components to my job (I’m a buyer and user, not a developer), and this past month my worklife has been living hell. Today especially, but that’s a subject for another post …

Reading continues to be my main recuperative activity. Out of the blue – which means, not pre-planned, I read 200 pages on H.P. Lovecraft and ten of his “short” stories. I’m hooked. Bought a big omnibus I’m about twenty percent through. Will take me out to Easter / baseball season / a new reading regimen.

Gluttony. I blogged on the 18th that I had consumed 16 slices of pizza at that point, nervous that I’d consume something like 40 pizzas a year and gain 80 pounds. Well, that’s tapered off. In the remaining 13 days of the month I’ve only had 2 slices. So, sanity is prevailing.

The girls continue their phenomenal almost exponential growth, be it interactions with the extended family, sports (basketball), reading outside the box, watching movies as a familial unit, the super-precocious things they tell me one-on-one as we drive around doing this and that. Truly one of the better joys in life, raising children, if you focus on this and not on the discipline and the finances and all that.

So, for the life of me, that’s all that January 2014 represented to me. For better or for worse, I lived it. We lived it. And now we move on.

To February!

No comments: