Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Let It Snow, Again


They’re predicting five to eight inches of snow overnight tonight.

I am of two minds with this. On the one hand, I want it to gloriously snow. Snow us in. One foot, two feet, doesn’t matter: we got food, Internet, teevee and movies, books. (Gotta keep the electricity, though.) Snow us in for a full day.

Reason: I need a mental health day from work.

Now, the wife is away traveling for the next couple of days. But I don’t mind being home with the kiddies all day. They’ll cope; I’ll cope. Heck, we might just watch some spooky or SFish stuff on the DVR. Patch’ll nap and me and Little One’ll read. Maybe even in the same room, two or three hours spent in comfortable silence. I need a day like that.

But ...

I am so overwhelmed at work. I have seven stacks of paper averaging five inches in height scattered amongst the landscape of my desk. Not to mention an hour’s worth of filing (all sensitive stuff, so one of the hourly part-time high school girls we have working for us can’t touch it). A half-dozen projects coming up on due dates. Two dozen balls in the air (juggling metaphor). Plus I’d lose any OT I’ve accrued so far this week (a not unhefty sum). If we do get snowed in and I take the day off from work, I might even have to go in on Saturday just to keep my head above water.

So – do I want a snow day tomorrow or not?

Hmmm.

Well, as in most things in life I am discovering, it doesn’t matter what I think. Once we hit the three inch mark I’ll get the automated phone call telling me school is closed, and that will settle that.

No comments: