Friday, April 11, 2014

Birdsong


Ah!  Got a full, uninterrupted eight hours of sleep, woke a few minutes before my alarm went off at six, did a brisk workout followed by a healthy breakfast and a protein shake, then hopped into the shower.  While scrubbing myself clean and shaving in the hot spray, a bird just outside the open bathroom window serenaded me … a hauntingly but familiar melody from my youth …

NAH, Nah, nah – Na-nuh Na-nuh Nah! Nah!

Over and over again:

NAH, Nah, nah – Na-nuh Na-nuh Nah! Nah!

NAH, Nah, nah – Na-nuh Na-nuh Nah! Nah!

As I got out and toweled off, it suddenly came to me.  Could it really be?  Yes!  It is!  The theme from Fat Albert!  “Nah, nah, nah, gonna have a good time!  Hey hey hey!

Needless to say, that damn bird brought a smile to my face, and to my wife’s, when I related the incident to her.

* * * * *

However, after giving it a generous amount of thought, I don’t think that little creature really was singing the theme song of Fat Albert to me.  I think, that if we had a sparrow-to-English translation device (perhaps on Google), that song’s lyrics would go something like this:

I must
Confess that I am only dust.
But once a rose within me grew;
Its rootlets shot, its flowerets flew;
And all the rose’s sweetness rolled
Throughout the texture of my mould;
And so it is that I impart
Perfume to them, whoever thou art.

No comments: