Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Whim Purchases


Every couple of months, usually twice a year, I order a few books from an online used book outfit.  Last time I did this was in November where I picked up a quarterscore of items.  Whilst doing bills early Saturday morning – never the funnest time of my week – I spontaneously decided to hop onto the Interweb and almost randomly chose two more acquisitions.

First was a stout one-volume bio of WW2, titled stoutly enough The Second World War, by Antony Beevor.  Spotted it in a library a few weeks ago and thought about borrowing it but felt I wouldn’t have time to read through it.  Well, I hadn’t forgotten it, so I felt that must be a sign: I must read it!  Since I plan on finishing up Rick Atkinson’s trilogy this summer, followed by Ike’s own penning of the Great Conflict, I thought Beevor’s book might be a great Memorial Day / week re-introductory read.

Second is a guilty pleasure.  I think it will be, that is.  Found out about this book in a book about books, specifically one spouting off about the hundred or so best thrillers you’ve never read sort of thing.  The book referenced is called Shipkiller, by an author I’ve never read before (Justin Scott).  It’s supposedly one of the best maritime suspense stories, and the description of it in the book about books I read sealed the deal for me: think Moby Dick except with a giant oil tanker.  Unable to forget that set up, I whimmed it and tossed it in the electronic shopping cart a few days ago.

Reviews immediate and forthcoming, as always, once I’ve fully digested the material.  But first the post man must bring them to my doorstep.

No comments: