Sunday, November 16, 2014

A Martial Psalm


Blessed be the Lord, my rock
who trains my arms for battle,
who prepares my hands for war.

He is my love, my fortress;
He is my stronghold, my savior,
my shield, my place of refuge.
He brings peoples under my rule.

Reach down from heaven and save me;
draw me out from the mighty waters,
from the hands of alien foes
whose mouths are filled with lies,
whose hands are raised in perjury.

To you, O God, will I sing a new song;
I will play on the ten-stringed harp.


… and an evocative hymn

Christ’s living lamp shall brightly burn,
and to our earthly city
forgotten beauty shall return,
and purity, and pity.
To give the oppressed their right
the church of Christ shall fight,
and though the years seem long,
God is our strength and song,
and God is our salvation.



(From the November 11th readings in Magnificat, which for some reason really resonated with me …)


No comments: