Friday, November 21, 2014

Top Ten Stephen King Reads


Dunno if I posted this anywhere on the blog these past couple of years, but thinking about it now, here are my personal top ten King works, for what it’s worth:

1. It (1986)
2. The Tommyknockers (1987)

Undisputed.

As for the next eight, how ’bout

3. The Stand (1978)
4. The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger (1982)

Those’re pretty much undisputed, too.

Then I’d add these three short story anthologies, in this order.  Some of his short stories are very, very horrifying, and they can be, in a sense, almost better than his novels.

5. Night Shift (1978)
6. Different Seasons (1982)
7. Skeleton Crew  (1985)

As far as the secret identity / Richard Bachman books go, I really liked

8. The Long Walk (1979)

A book I really, really enjoyed as a kid (and I’d love to re-read), is

9. The Talisman (1984, written with Peter Straub)

And finally, I very much enjoyed King’s exegesis on all things horror-media-related, the superb nonfiction

10. Danse Macabre (1981)



Hmmm, maybe I’ll search out #9 at the used book store this weekend.

No comments: