Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Creeeepy


“He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.  And when you gaze along into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you …”

- Friedrich Nietszche, Beyond Good and Evil (1886), aphorism 146

For the past couple of months I’ve been toying with an idea of a new literary adventure – read through Nietzsche’s work in chronological order, a dozen or so books.  The appeal is, well, I find him immensely readable for a philosopher (as do many), and when I’m in a dark mood his philosophy suits me just fine.  But … this quote regarding the abyss … I can understand it only too well, and I am taking the synchronistic discovery of those fourteen words as a friendly warning from the beyond to stick with my original pre-Nietzschean plan.


No comments: