Thursday, April 30, 2020

Good Riddance April



Well, that was undoubtedly the strangest month we’ve ever experienced.

Which got me thinking about Aprils and their endings as the gateway to Spring.

This time last year, for instance, the wife and I had just returned from a long, relaxing weekend at Cape May.

Three years ago, we just returned from a long, relaxing weekend at Sanibel Island.

Five years back I had my own long solo weekend (the wife and little ones were vacationing down in Hilton Head) which I spent mostly binge-watching Survivorman. Hmm. That’s something in common with today’s April. Binge-watching, I mean.

A decade ago this time I was unemployed, preparing for another heart surgery, musing about the architecture of spacetime and the zen qualities of subatomic particles, while reading deep science fiction like A Case for Conscience and not-so-deep science fiction as Tarnsman of Gor.

A dozen years back I was torturing myself with Hegel and Hell’s Kitchen and trying to figure this whole blog thing out.

Twenty-seven years ago this April I found myself newly single and salved my lonely and fractured ego with a deep-dive into cinema – The Razor’s Edge, The Mission, The Last Temptation of Christ, Lawrence of Arabia, Gandhi, Glengarry Glen Ross. I know this because I blogged about it in 2010. And I also note that recurring binge-watching theme.

Yeah, but this April was undoubtedly the strangest April I’ve ever experienced.

Don’t let the door hit you on your way out.



No comments: