Thursday, May 7, 2009

Apocalypse Forever

Despite all the useless demands on my time
I’ve kept you on my mind …
The hours and days and the clocks moving backwards
Thirteen o’clock – why must these things run in 26-hour cycles?
Sentenced in burning deserts and over melting ice floes
Over blistered pavement lined with creeping vines
I’ve kept you on my mind …
Fat ol’ sun keeps on smiling
Sunny yellow moon is climbing
Dirt and dust and sand and ice
The weeks and months and the shadows I’ve known
Four hundred forty-four – why always that number?
Like some leering super-intelligence a half-inch away
A game – sure, why not? – a game a day
Your life to gamble. No! Several million lives
A penny for a pound and a piece of pretty flesh
All that I’ve known and all that I’ve seen
All that and the unshaved face in the mirror
Visions of frozen towers of ice and iron
A shack in the woods – “there’s a dog in the woods!”
Will I be forever alone, covering these well-worn paths
time after time after time after time
But
I’ve kept you on my mind.


Best sung over a fast and droning A power chord, with G’s and D’s thrown in at the chorus. The best version I ever heard was with Søren Kierkegaard at the mic and both of us under the influence of far too many Grolsch lagers.

No comments: