Friday, May 22, 2009

The Doctor Hath Spoken

Good news and bad news regarding my health, care of my cardiologist. First of all, and perhaps most important, the echocardiogram revealed nothing amiss. It’s absolutely perfect. Big huge sigh of relief, and now I’m looking forward to getting the CT scan at the hospital next Wednesday. Bring it on!

The bad news is that my blood pressure is still high. It got higher, in fact, and is now 150 over 100. Remember, normal is 120 over 80, and the past two months I’ve been read at a borderline 140 over 90. However, I have been eating very, very poorly lately. Stress eating. Definitely off my TRFD diet, as espoused here. Lets see, in the past week I’ve had sushi (with high-sodium soy sauce), Burger King, chocolate shakes, french fries, pizza, soda (Diet Cokes), and about a gallon of ice cream. No, more like a gallon-and-a-half. But I’m not drinking beer! I also had a terrible night’s sleep, or lack thereof, the night before, getting only about four hours’ shut-eye, tops. And I’m still learning to deal with attention-starved little ones as a house husband while still getting rejected and ignored for jobs I don’t want to do.

Is it any wonder my blood pressure is high?

My doctor wants me to come in next week for a quick blood pressure reading. Then he’ll decide what treatment is necessary (anyone wanna bet it’s prescription drugs?) In the meantime, my goal is to lower my BP. At least down to 140 over 90. Last night we had raw veggies with brown rice. I managed to abstain from ice cream for dessert. Lots and lots of water. And I’m avoiding dairy, cheese particularly, which has a surprising amount of NaCl in it. I meditated last night and enjoyed it – which I usually do: I wonder why I can’t make it a habit? – so I’ll keep repeating it over the next couple of days.

Will report back with results next Thursday for my legions of fans.

LE out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take a deep breath, pick 2 things off your "to-do" list daily that you really want to get done and be happy with it! Remember that even though you're "home" it's still a lot of work, mixed with caring for toddlers/babies which we both know take up more time than any "working" person could believe. Enjoy your kids, get a few things done, and remember that tomorrow is another day! It's not worth getting yourself sick over.(Now if only I could heed those words of advice myself!) -J