Saturday, May 16, 2009

Modern Update

Sorry for the slim postin’s. Quite busy. You’d think an unemployed guy who can’t move too fast due to a recovering heart condition would have plenty of leisure time on his hands. Not so, much to my regret (I still fantasize about waking up in a massive king-sized bed – alone – after thirty-six hours sleep in an open-air upper room in some castle in Switzerland. Weird, huh?).

Upgraded the PC mid-week, so now I’m officially in the 21st century. Now I can work efficiently on my two new blogs. One will be devoted to literature, the other to Catholicism. My two great loves, in addition to physics and astronomy as well as esoterica. In a different life I was a priest; in this life I’m trying to get some of my work published. I burned out on the physics thing, but I still love it, just not enough to write about it daily. Or perhaps I’m afraid my ignorance would be glaring. Not that it wouldn’t concerning literature or Catholicism. But I’m learning, and I’m trying.

It is incredible the effort parents need to put in today to get their child into Kindergarten. Can I gripe a moment? Kindergarten, those three-hour daily sessions for five-year-olds, may have been perfect in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. Back then mothers stayed home. Back then your child could walk to school without the fear of abduction. Back then, Kindergarten was an easy-stepping stone for a child to enter school. Not so today. Most parents both work. Children need to be ferried in army troop carrier-sized vehicles door-to-door. And most children have been in day care or preschool before Kindergarten. My kid is working on a Kindergarten-level math book and she’s so far passed it I wonder if it’s even a good use of time. So, since our child was put in to the mid-morning session, we need to find (and pay mucho dinero for) morning care and afternoon care until 6 pm. Buses will be ferrying her to and from her various locations. It’s insane, but we’ve chosen this life, I suppose, deciding to live in this crazy expensive über-materialistic locale.

Still applying and getting turned down for jobs. It’s depressing. The more money you need, I’ve discovered, the harder it is to find employment. I flirt inadvertently with depression and self-pity, but I eventually right myself like a sailboat tottering on rough waters (and I get the accompanying belly butterflies, too).

Health is still status quo; checkups this upcoming Thursday and in ten days will give me a good idea how I’m progressing and will set the tone for the next couple of months. I continue to struggle with eating healthy, though I haven’t had a drink in over a hundred days. Doing yoga every morning, but have found it difficult to find the motivation and energy to go for evening walks per my doctor’s instructions. Oh well.

A lot of posts on the horizon, just haven’t found time to write them all. Expect another one later this evening.

LE … out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi LE,
Reading your post leaves me to wonder, does what it takes to live that materialistic life make you happy, or just extremely depressed/stressed/anxious? Maybe your current siutation would work for you long term? The whole stay-at-home thing? You could write, avoid expensive child care, cut your dry-cleaning bill, car gas bill, car wear-and-tear, etc. Just a thought, perhaps a crazy one, from someone who's living it, and barely getting by financially, but happy nonetheless. Smile, the answer will come! -J