Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Swamped Part CXXXVIII

I was planning to pen a short review of Borges’ “The Theologians,” similar to what I did yesterday for “The Immortal,” but I’m a bit swamped today. The Little One is at school until 3:30 and Patch is at the sitter and my wife is at work, so it would seem I have an ideal writing situation set up. Unfortunately, there’s a pack of angry creditors at my door and a checkbook to balance, doctors’ and their accounts receivable ladies to speak with, a house that’s in dire need of a cleaning, laundry to get done (we were away over the weekend) or at least filed away discretely in hampers, a major decision to make on where Little One will be attending kindergarten which requires a PhD dissertation of reading and research. And I caught a bit of the black dog to top it all off. So I may go out at lunch time for a bowl of Chinese food. Eat it while watching a good old-fashioned monster movie. Then it’s off motoring to pick up the little chickens between 3:30 and 6. Return to the ranch to cook up some cheese macs for them as the wife’ll be working late tonight. Get ’em all in bed then see who gets booted off of Idol (a terrible vice of mine). Finally, between 9 and 10 pm, half a day away, I’ll return to Borges.

Until then, let me leave you with a nice little quote I found, by the Spanish existentialist poet-philosopher Jose Ortega y Gasset:

The hero’s will is not that of his ancestors nor of his society, but his own. This will to be oneself is heroism.

I like that a lot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to give yourself credit for all that you do! Being a "stay-at-home" isn't as easy as some would think. My "to-do" list is as long as my arm and only 2, maybe 3 things get checked off daily. Then before bed I add 2 or 3 more, hence it will NEVER all be done. You'll get to your writing and your readers will still be here later! Have a good one! -J

P.S. Hope "C" realizes how lucky she is to have you doing all of this! :)

LE said...

Yeah, I know. If I'm lucky today I'll get 2 or 3 of those things done. The cold and wet weather doesn't help either. I need either an extra six hours in the day or a clone.