Sunday, November 29, 2009

Hell on Earth

Was the Soviet Union.

From Oswald's Tale (1995), by Norman Mailer, page 333:


"... he began by speaking of his parents:

Very important people, he would say. He waved a finger in warning. Let nothing in the air be ready to disagree! Very important people, he repeated, but all the same, obedient! When they received their big Soviet encyclopedia and an order followed years later to cut out certain pages because they were now historically incorrect, his father obeyed. Yuri's parents were not average people, but still, they were afraid. For example, his father kept a private diary, yet even his own pages were not truthful ..."


Not the most egregious example, I am aware, but still, could you even imagine living in such a society? Where your innermost thoughts were managed in such a manner? Where a knock at the door could bring intense, visceral fear: did I keep my official encyclopedia updated properly? Do I have in my possession any books that the government deems unacceptable? Did I say anything to anybody - even a family member - that I am not allowed to say? Does my own private journal hold anything incriminating to me?

I normally shun dystopian novels but I have read my fair share over the years. This just struck a deep chord within me, because, quite likely, had I the cosmic misfortune to have been born into such a society no doubt it would only be a matter of time before I was labeled an Enemy of the People. All because of my curiosity and my choice of reading material. What a horrible, hellish time and place to live.

Sure, there were and are other hells on Earth (when has there ever not been?), but we must be ever vigilant. Do I think that such a thing as hell on earth could happen here, in the United States of America? Probably not, but I can not say unequivocally and with certainty that it will not. I do believe there are elements in our society that are working towards such an evil goal. And because of that we must never let our guard down.

No comments: