Saturday, January 16, 2010

Guitar Work II


So, what’s LE playing on his trusty six-string nowadays?

Since our last episode back on December 1st, I find myself constantly playing a new crop of tunes on my little wooden stringed friend. As you may recall, the acoustic guitar sits stoically and helpfully in my dining room, in the corner between the living room and kitchen, probably the most well-trod route in my house. And I pick it up, still, a good twenty, twenty-five times a day and play it anywhere from twenty seconds to twenty-five minutes at a pop.

Here’s what I am playing of late:

1. 1983 … A Merman I Should Turn to Be, by Jimi Hendrix

Hendrix’s most psychedelic song, and one of his longest, is an epic multi-multi tracked piece that could be considered a forerunner to the epics of Yes and Rush. Ever since I first heard it 20+ years ago I could only play the melodic line over the chorus. I came across some tab and bam! slap my head! everything came together and fit so well I just can’t stop playing it. I even thought of blogging about it, as the song is a legitimately unique science fiction scenario.

2. Do You Feel Like We Do, by Peter Frampton

No, I don’t do the ten minute talk box solo. But its such a fun song – the opening melodic riff, the power chord verse, the D – F – C – D (A C ) chorus. Whenever I hear the live version on classic rock stations, I’m immediately transported back to those crazy drinking party days, when you had no worries about bills or careers or health, no, indeed, you felt like you would live forever.

3. Shangri-La, by ELO

My whole family was into ELO when I was growing up, so I was too, by extension. I don’t know why I’m playing this song in particular, other than it’s a neat tune, and the chords just came to me one day. Plus it has my favorite chord du jour, Gmaj7.

4. Florida Suite: By the River, by Frederick Delius

The second movement of this mini-symphony is so beautiful, so enchanting, that it still causes shivers to ripple up and down my arms when I hear it. The melody is so lovely and so simple that I have thought: This is what philosophers are thinking about when they talk about aesthetics and beauty and truth and goodness. On my guitar I play it in the key of B, and it’s nothing technically amazing; a beginner could play it. I’m just hooked on it right now.

5. Goodbye Song, (Goodbye, See Ya Later), as performed by the cast of Yo Gabba Gabba

All right, all right. Just when the five-year-old turns her nose up at Yo Gabba Gabba, the sixteen-month-old is just getting into it. I know all these kiddie shows by heart by now. I guess I’m a dad now; it’s official. Truth be told it’s fun to strum along to – as much fun as it is watching a 26-pound little girl joyfully moving her arms, legs, and behind to the beat, fascinated by Muno, Foofa, Brobee, Toodee, Plex, and DJ Lance on the flat screen and her daddy playing along with them.

No comments: