Monday, January 25, 2010

Nother Noonan

“… In any case, I think I’ve noticed a crude and imperfect but serviceable way to judge which women’s religious communities work, are constructive and faithful, and which are not. The more old-fashioned the habit, the more Catholic the nun. The more distinctive the dress, the more removed from the world, and the more faithful. A nun in a veil probably prays; a nun in a two-piece suit with nothing on her head but a gray crewcut is somewhat more likely to be thinking of spirit winds and new ways to refer to Jesus as ‘she.’ ” (John Paul the Great, by Peggy Noonan, pg. 179)

I like this quote. I’ve read similar sentiments in places to many to count in the Catholic blogosphere, and I believe statistics support the trend that more “old-fashioned” and more faithful communities are growing while more “free-spirited” communities are in sharp decline. And that line – “nothing on her head but a gray crewcut” – is awesome!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only speak personally of the one grey haired nun we know...your step-aunt...who could not be more devoted to God, her faith and her job of caring for the elderly infirmed...God bless her...Always

LE said...

Something tells me Sister Katie did not try to commune with spirit wind nor pray to a Father-Mother ...