Sunday, January 31, 2010

Johnson & Wright

...

“Your manuscript is both good and original. But the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good.”

(Attributed to Samuel Johnson, 1709-1784.)

One day I’ll read the great man’s biography. As a matter of fact, it sits on the shelf behind me, a daunting 587 pages of double-columned small-type. Must be close to half a million words. Not for the weak of heart. I almost feel it necessary to study at the feet of Evelyn Wood before attempting to climb such an Everest.

Speaking of which, that calls to mind an old joke from the Eighties:

“I was laying in my room one night when Evelyn Wood came in and read Moby Dick to me in eleven minutes. I got seasick and threw up all over the bed.”

(Attributed to Steven Wright, 1955- )

No comments: