Monday, September 20, 2010

Birthday Weekend

Just a short note today. My clock is all outta whack. Went to bed early Saturday, 10:30, woke up at 4 am. Napped Sunday from 10:30 to noon. Muscle-achy from working out for the first time in a few weeks, especially my flabby abs. Head-achy from eating really clean on Saturday and really dirty on Sunday. Why does eating right and exercising have to be so g.d. hard?

Overall, though, it was a good birthday weekend. Friday we all went out to Outhouse Steakback. We used to go there all the time when we was newlyweds, renting an apartment, and had money. Not so much lately. Plus, I like a good steak every once in a while. Was really thirsting for an ice-cold 20-ounce mug of brew. I mean, it was one of the few times I’ve had a real strong hankering for a beer in a long time. Mouth-watering, it was, just staring at the one the wife had. But I’ve been dry since my heart troubles, 19 months ago, and want to stay that way.

My parents gave me some birthday money, so I went online to my used book store hook up and ordered a half-dozen hard-to-find titles for a coupla bucks. Some were non-bloggable items, but there are a few that I can’t wait to dig into:

The Philosopher’s Stone by Colin Wilson. If it’s half-as-good as The Mind Parasites, which I read twice this past July, it’ll be worth it. Creepy philosophical goodness.

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. Medieval conspiracy theory. Read this book while down at Rutgers 20-plus years ago. Hooked me for about two solid weeks, to the detriment of my random and generalized studies.

The Year of the Cloud. Vaguely recall reading this as a youngling. Something about all the water on planet earth gelling up or something. I think. I guess.

The Illuminatus! Trilogy. Okay, avoided this famous ultra-everything-is-a-conspiracy trio of books for the longest time. But I’ve been craving weirdness lately. Must be a nutritional deficiency.

Oh, Mr. Mailman! Bring me a book …

My girls gave me a gift card for B&N. I might get some music. Been listening to a lot of Rush lately, so maybe I’ll pick up a pair of their older CDs. Or maybe some vintage 1950s SF flick on DVD, to watch with the Little One. Or maybe a Hitchcock movie – the wife and I love watching a Hitch movie during the Halloween season. Last year it was Strangers on a Train. I dunno. The spirit will have to move me on this.

Anyway, I’m off to get some shut-eye. Wish me luck.

No comments: