Saturday, September 4, 2010

On the Short Horizon

Hi. Very busy today – and the rest of the weekend. Only have about an hour at the PC today. Already did the family finances, the errands with the little ones, the lunch fiesta. So now a few moments to update my legions of followers. And by legions, I mean the dozen or so who stop by here on a daily basis.

Carnival tonight. Down the Jersey shore. Obviously, more for my daughters than me. They’ve been going on rides now for four years; it’s kinda a rite of passage for us for the close of summer. Last year I went on the ferris wheel with Little One and nearly had a panic attack. Weird. I used to go on all the rides as a kid, up until my thirties.

My mother is taking my wife and Little One to Broadway on Sunday to see Mary Poppins. I’ll be watching Patch for about six or seven hours. During her nap, I got a bunch of writing to do and work on my website.

I have two book reviews coming up: Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence, and The High Crusade by Poul Anderson. Both very, very different books, but both good reads, in their own way.

Excited to begin Derai by E. C. Tubb. It’s a book that hearkens back to the reads of my youth, sort of. Real, authentic, hairy chest late-Sixties-early-Seventies SF.

On Monday we’re taking Little One to the park down the street – it’s time to take the training wheels off the bicycle! Just before her sixth birthday. Should be exciting. We’re making sure she wears a long-sleeve shirt, jeans, and her helmet, though. Should also be lots of tears and inner ego conflict.

I’m also getting really fat, and my body is starting to shift in weird ways. I caught a glimpse of myself in a full-length mirror at a store earlier today, and I didn’t like what I saw. So I gotta revamp my diet and get consistent with the exercise bike. The sixty-thousand dollar question is: How? And by that, I mean: I know what to do, but I just don’t do it. At least on a day-to-day, hour-to-hour basis.

Fit Church, laundry, grocery shopping, and a barbecue or two in there, and you have my Labor Day weekend.

Enjoy yours!

No comments: