Monday, September 13, 2010

Patch is Two!

Busy weekend, so I don’t have much blog posts pre-written on the horizon. Lots of ideas, though, which is always a good thing, I suppose.

September is birthday month over at clan LE. Patch, me, and the Little One, in that order. Sunday was Patch’s second birthday, and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

See?


Weather kept us indoors, but that was fine since the second birthday party is traditionally are more laid-back and low-key affair than the first one. It did get crazy and loud, though, but everybody had a good time. Two cakes, great sandwiches, the Giants winning after deciding to play some football in the second half. I played “Tequila” on my acoustic guitar and a half-dozen little ones danced and bopped. All caught on video, ready if one of them makes it to the top twelve on American Idol season twenty-six.

While Sunday was all-Patch all-day, Saturday was the Little One’s. Soccer Day opening ceremonies at an ungodly 8 am in the morning. Legions of soccer moms and dads (which we are now, officially) garbed in requisite middle-class uniforms: sunglasses and styrofoam cups of coffee. I played a mental game to see which was more representative – Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. I think it ran something like 462 to 731. Legalized yuppie crack, I can say snobbily, being a non-coffee-drinker.

I came home, did bills and balanced the checkbook (yay!), then we all headed down the street for Little One’s first soccer game. It was a blow-out loss, 4-0, but she enjoyed herself, cheering heartily from the sidelines and even taking the ball up from her backfield to the opposing team’s goal before losing possession. Forgive the terminology, I, like her, still have no idea how soccer’s played. But it was fun. I don’t think she even remembers her team lost.

Tonight I’m going to see a playwright do a Q&A at a local library. Might be productive, should be entertaining.

I’ve also been reading like all crazy, usually from ten to midnight when the house is sleeping. I lined up my unread SF paperbacks on the shelf in order from shortest to lengthiest, and started reading the quickies first. I’ve read something like seven books for September so far. I have three reviews on deck, each partially written.

There’s also a hazy sketch of me talking to Socrates that I’m trying to work out to get on paper. These internal dialogues usually happen in the shower. Some people sing in the shower, I mentally run through Socratic dialogues. So look for that, it might be interesting if I can figure out how to make it not too embarrassingly dumb.

Hey – I have jury duty coming up! That should be a fun post. My wife served about three years ago. I’d like to do it, really I would, but really can’t, given our precarious economic situation. I’m torn what book I should bring to read – and hold on my lap if I’m questioned. The Bible? A Tom Clancy novel? Something by Bill O’Reilly or Sean Hannity? A UFO book? Something on the JFK assassination, like Jim Marrs’ book, which gives credence to every single conspiracy theory, no matter how fringe or outlandish? Any suggestions? I could use them.

All right. Back tomorrow, bright and early!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a great party...and a beautiful Birthday Girl...Mom and Dad did a great job in more ways than one! Always

Anonymous said...

Had a great time with the girls this weekend. I will never give up my boys, but I definitely missed something by not having little girls.

As for your jury duty reading material, if you are looking to be disqualified from serving, I recommend having "Let No Guilty Man Escape": A Judicial Biography of "Hanging Judge" Isaac C. Parker on your lap.

Uncle

LE said...

Very funny!!! Though something tells me you probably have that on the bookshelf at home.

Anyway, I'll blog about it in 10 days and let you all know what book I brought along and what happens.