Monday, September 27, 2010

Ephemericity

A lot going on today …

Massive clean-up after the weekend of partying. The wife bought a 200-pound armoire that needs slight repainting and jockeying around the living room for correct positioning. Then, the furniture needs to be re-routed. Then, of course, it’s time to rotate the carpet, for after six years certain patches are beginning to wear under the constant traffic and abuse by toddlers and their leavin’s. Sometimes when we’re alone the carpet cries to me that it wants to go back home to Iran.

The kitchen is a disaster area and there’s nothing but junk food floating around (leftover pizza, cake, chips, soda, beer). The wife is coming down with a cold; I myself am achy and fatigued. God, I felt healthier when I was a drinker. It’s been raining nonstop here all day, and looks to continue for the next several.

Tuesday is Little One’s real birthday, so we need to get everything all ship-shape then for her nuclear family party. That’ll be explosive! (I’ve reminded myself of a quote from one of those long-ago Hollywood producers – Louis B. Mayer? – “Boys, don’t mess with the atom bomb – it’s dynamite!”) And then Friday is her school party over at Bounce U. Eighteen crazed six and seven year olds with cake and pizza flooding their veins. Oh, and the wife may not be able to make it due to a change in her business schedule.

I don’t like cursing, really I don’t, but if that happens, Holy S***! I’m drinking! Or at least swallowing those last oxycodon pills I got stashed somewhere –

Just kidding, of course.

Hey, I’m 110 pages into Gerald Posner’s Case Closed. Yes, it’s about the JFK thing 47 years ago. But Posner is convinced that LHO was the Lone Gunman. You know what? I generally believe so, too, and I’ll tell you why. Every Lone Gunman book I’ve read (three, once I’m done with this one) makes reasonable, clear, concise, dispassionate sense. Every conspiracy book that I’ve read always requires a leap of faith and sometimes a downright suspension of belief. When I read a conspiracy book it’s as if there’s a zebra-striped ref blowing a whistle and throwing up a yellow flag every couple of pages or so. But, truth be told, I like reading them because, well, I like suspending my belief.

OK – wasted enough time down here. I gotta get back upstairs. See you later. Tomorrow, no doubt. I think I may write a bit about my experience at Home Depot earlier today. Plus, I finished the Heinlein book, so I want to review that.

Later!

No comments: