Wednesday, April 20, 2011

DeAngelo Vickers


Quick question –

Do the names

Lance De Lune
Mustafa
Mugatu
Big Earl
Chazz Rheinhold
Chazz Michael Michaels

and now,

DeAngelo Vickers

mean anything to you?

If you still don’t know, how about if I throw in

Frank the Tank
Ricky Bobby

and

Ron Burgundy?

Ah. Now you know.

One of the funniest things about Will Ferrell, to me at least, are the details about his characters. And what better characterization of a character is there than his name? Now, I’m sure Will didn’t come up with all of these character names in the films he’s been in. But some, yeah, I’m sure he did come up with.

I’ve been a fairly consistent fan of The Office over the past couple of years, though I must confess I’ve found the last season or two a little unexciting. Not unfunny – it’s always funny, every episode has a couple of belly laughs. But I just don’t look forward to it the way I did, say, three or fours years ago. I think the zenith of the show had to be season 5, particularly in Michael Scott’s confrontation with Charles Miner. The reason for my lack of enthusiasm is the sad realization that The Office has been eclipsed by funnier shows. Parks and Rec, Community, and Big Bang Theory, to be specific.

But like that aging champ coming out for one last bout, I’ll be damned but did that show just pull a TKO by bringing on Will Ferrell as Michael Scott’s (possible) replacement, DeAngelo Vickers. Bringing Ferrell in to compliment Steve Carell is genius, pure genius. It’s the Ali vs. Frazier of humor. The Godzilla vs. King Kong of comedy. Two masters of their art sparring, and we are all the richer for it.

We DVR’d the show Thursday night, and I’ve watched it twice since. To me, it is 24-karat comedy gold. The apex of profound hilarity. Say what you will about it, or me, but that was one of the most entertaining 22 minutes I’ve spent in years. I can’t wait to watch it with Little One (I’m breaking her into The Office slowly, but she seems to enjoy it, though she doesn’t like Dwight).

I still haven’t erased it from the DVR. I probably won’t.

DeAngelo Vickers. Heh.

No comments: