Saturday, August 6, 2011

Decisions, decisions


My agenda for plowing through Shakespeare is to read a play and then watch a play, then move on to the next. One of my local libraries has a whole slew of Folger’s interpretations of the plays (my favorite versions), as well as the local bookstore for about four bucks a piece. The same library has every edition of the BBC Shakespeare 1977-1985 series of plays. So far it’s worked for me, as I’m 7 ½ plays in, close to 20 percent, of my Shakespearean journey.

Now I face a dilemma. One that needs to be resolved this weekend before I derail and hop on to other valleys and vistas.

After reading a couple of histories I switched over to Twelfth Night, which I stole from B&N for two dollars. Had trouble getting into it, this somewhat disconcerting for I read that this is one of Shakespeare’s most critically regarded comedies. So I said to myself, “Perhaps I’ll pick up on much detail I missed in my first reading when I watch the BBC play.” Well, I didn’t say it out loud. More like thought it. Though I do tend to say such things out loud. Usually when I’m alone in the car.

Anyway, in the meantime, I came across a rare Folger’s edition of Henry IV part II. I’d given up on reading part II because, a) I heard it’s a rarely performed play, and b) I ain’t never found a copy nowhere. And I looked, because I enjoyed part I immensely. No library carried. No bookstore carried it. Until I went to Border’s Going Out of Business sale and picked it up, discounted.

But I still had Twelfth Night on the brain. Went to my library to get the BBC DVD and – they didn’t have it! Shakespeare’s most noted comedy, and they didn’t have it! But they did have – Henry IV part II, that most rarely-performed of plays!

Go figure, as they say.

So, do I move on to Henry, or do I keep looking for that Twelfth Night DVD? I’m kinda stuck between gears. I’m like a turtle on it’s back. Like a rock ’em sock ’em robot with his head popped off.

I gotta work today, so I can’t physically get to the library. I could probably log on to the website and put a hold on the play, if it exists and if it’s currently out. That’s probably what I’ll do to resolve this. And in the meantime jump over to Henry. It’ll be a break in continuity, but, hey, it ain’t a perfect world. And if that’s my only complaint today, well, then I’ll consider today a successful one.

No comments: