Friday, August 26, 2011

Storm Watch


Spending most of the evening hurricane-proofing the house. Making sure the gutters are clear and lead away from the foundations, securing lawn furniture and trash cans, removing air conditioners, getting laundry done (in case of power outtages), collecting all the flashlights and candles and whatnots on the dining room table.

The girls will probably go with their mother to my parents house and I will remain behind to make sure the house still stands. Though we’re not in the direct line of the storm, and fully aware of the media’s tendency to overhype these sort of events, I’m still a bit worried. Part of it’s due to the roof situation. Part of it’s due to the fact that the last storm we had water flowing into the house from the rear corner where the garage meets the basement ceiling. But we don’t have big trees hovering over us, and we’re towards the top of a hill. What we’ll eventually get is anyone’s guess.

So, no posting this weekend. Too much to do, too much on my mind. I promise to blog at least an update on Monday. Of course the job is expecting me there, rain or shine, flood or deluge.

I’m hoping something miraculous happens in the next sixty hours or so. I hope I’m rescued.

Good luck to you, too, if you reside somewhere near the eastern seaboard.

No comments: