Sunday, August 21, 2011

Geek Boy Cred


Okay, I just watched 2010's Predators for the second time in three days while the wife and little ones are out and about. I confess; I liked it. I reviewed it here last year when me and my pal saw it in the theaters.

If you go on IMDB, it seems there's a lot of hubbub and todo over whether the movie's good or not. Or "faithful", as the geek boys like to state it. Nerds are in uproar, especially over the casting of Adrien Brody. Fishburne's fat! Topher Grace is unarmed - no, he's armed - no he's unarmed - no, he's ... well, you get the picture. Hordes of basemented losers are on the cyberwarpath, armed with anonymous insults and alias'd putdowns.

So, I figgered I'd lay down the guantlet. I'm an SF buff, more literary than cinematic, but I could throw down with the best of them. After all, I did cut my teeth on Alien as an eleven-year-old boy.

Without further ado, here's my ranking of the Alien-Predator franchise:

1. Alien (1979)
2. Aliens (1986)
3. Predator (1987)
4. Predators (2010)
5. Alien Resurrection (1997)
6. Alien vs. Predator (2004)
7. Alien 3 (1992)
8. Predator 2 (1990)
9. Alien vs Predator: Requiem (2009)

Though there's an entire universe of difference in the quality of the first four from the bottom five.

(And for the record, I've never seen number 9, nor will I ever, due to its extreme anti-life tone. Those in the know will know what I'm talking about.)

So there, nerdlings! Your Geek Elder Statesman has just issued a throw-down! To the basements!

No comments: