Monday, September 12, 2011

HI AK


On a much, much lighter note, I think I've just discovered a few simple ways to always remember a simple piece of historical geographical trivia. You may never had to answer this question before, but if you have little ones about, or had them, you probably will if you haven't already. I myself have had this question posed to me twice, and both times I had to bluff my way on to another subject.

The trivia? Alaska and Hawaii are the last two states, both entering the Union in 1959. Which was the 49th and which was the 50th?

Seems there are three ways to never forget the order of their statehood.

First, the longest, most roundaboutest way.

You may recall the great gold rush in the middle 19th century. Thousands of young men went west in search of gold, gold that was discovered in them thar hills of California. Happens to be the year was 1849, and those prospectors became known as "49ers." There's an NFL team that bears that name, too. You may also remember that gold was later discovered in the Yukon, prompting a second gold rush up to the northern territory known as Alaska. So, by remembering gold in the Yukon and the 49ers from the previous gold rush, you can remember that Alaska is the 49th state.

Complicated, huh? Especially if history's not your thing. Okay, I get it. Let's turn to pop culture.

Remember the old police show Hawaii 5-0? It's been remade the past season (or two?) and my wife likes to watch it, and I watch it with her every now and then to nitpick it. Anyway, this show simplifies matters so much that you should never, ever forget which state was the fiftieth. Hawaii, the 5-0th state.

Finally, I realized that the order of statehood for these two exactly coincides with their alphabetical order. That's probably the simplest way to remember 49 and 50.

There! Bring on the little ones and their little books of States and Capitals! Daddy's ready for that pesky little question.

Of course, I may be forty years too late to this discussion. It's possible. Even probable. If so, I don't mind. These dopey little musings brought a smile to my face yesterday afternoon while I was suffering through the Giants game.

No comments: