Sunday, October 2, 2011

Mercy Buckets


Busy weekend (is there any other kind when you have children?), too busy to even read let alone write.

The wife was working Saturday, which she does a half-dozen times a year, leaving me in charge of the little ones. There were bills to pay, checkbooks to balance, soccer games to go to, though they got rained out. Then there was errands: post office, bank to deposit my final paycheck, library, and pizza. Got back home, put Patch down, and me and Little One napped for two-and-a-half hours. Ah, bliss!

Cleaned the house in anticipation for Sunday's birthday party for the Little One. Did four loads of laundry, took out the air conditioner units, moved my portable library down to the basement. Fed the little ones and the wife when she got home. Watched some DVR'd stuff after the girls went down, but we all were tired and went to bed early.

Got the girls showered Sunday morning then off to Sunday School. I took Patch with me to mass, then picked up Little One's birthday cake, then got Little One. Then, in two hours, I picked up the catering, balloons, ice, mowed the front and back yards, swept the deck, moved the furniture outside for the wife to decorate, and showered and cleaned myself up. Had guests over for four hours, watched the football and baseball games, met some of my daughter's school friends and their moms, had relatives and friends come over who we haven't seen in a while. My parents took Patch back to PA with them for a couple of days, and the wife and I watched Little One open her presents. The three of us played a game together, then put our birthday girl down a little after 8.

I am exhausted.

Thanks so much to so many people. First, to my wife, who averted what could have been a disaster of a party and turned it into something Little One will remember for a long time. Thanks to my parents for taking Patch off my hands for three days so I can search for work. Thanks to my father-in-law for being so generous and helping to pay for the cake, balloons, and much more. Thanks to all the guests who went above and beyond in their gifts, and thanks to my buddy who brought his kids bouncy castle over. Steve, if you ever need a good book to read, I'm your man!

And Happy Birthday, Little One! You and your sister are the best gifts ever given to me.

Well, time to watch a little Sunday night football, have a little leftover cake, read a little bit after the wife nods off. Some interesting stuff outta left field later in the week.

No comments: