Saturday, March 9, 2013

Finds, etc.


Went to B&N for the first time in, like, six weeks. Finally we have some money in our pockets, so I didn’t feel extreme guilt searching the bookshelves for hidden and unbidden treasures. Here’s what I found:

People, Hell and Angels, by Jimi Hendrix. It was playing on the overhead speakers in the store, and I instantly remembered hearing something last week about this release of never-before-released Hendrix tunes in years. So I picked it up. Only have heard the first three songs so far, and I am not disappointed.

Master and Commander, by Patrick O’Brian. It’s the source book for that movie a decade ago starring Russell Crowe. I saw it in the theaters back then with the Mrs. and liked it. Been on the backburner for a while, and after seeing Billy Budd a few weeks ago I decided to look out for it. Found it. If I enjoy it, there’s like a dozen more books in the series.

Lust for Life, by Irving Stone. Don’t know much about this, except it’s the 1930s source book for the 1950s movie of Vincent Van Gogh’s life, starring Kirk Douglas. Anthony Quinn co-stars as Paul Gauguin, and it’s one of my favorite flicks. The book will probably stare at me off the shelf behind me for two or three years before I get to it.

The History of the Church, by Eusebius. Been thinking about this, especially since I’ve been mulling a deeper sounding into Catholicism as a potential summer or fall reading project. Was recommended in a couple of threads on Catholic Answers forum, where I went-a-looking for recommended reading.

Not bad for $22, eh?

No comments: