Thursday, March 28, 2013

Franchise Fortunes


Came across this list during my afternoon break, thumbing through the newspaper in the lunch room. Though I’m not a big baseball fan, I found the list interesting.

Which teams are the most valued in Major League Baseball?

Well, according to Forbes magazine, the top 5 are:

New York Yankees - $2.3 billion
Los Angeles Dodgers - $1.6 billion
Boston Red Sox - $1.3 billion
Chicago Cubs - $1.0 billion
Philadelphia Phillies - $893 million.

Number Six on the list is the New York Mets ($811 million), followed by World Series champion San Francisco Giants ($786 million).

The bottom-rung team in MLB is the Tampa Devils at $451 million.

Just how Forbes figured this out was not indicated anywhere on the little chart.

I remember about a year ago the worth of sports franchises came up in a discussion between me and the Mrs. Which team was the most valuable in all of professional sports, the Dallas Cowboys or the New York Yankees?

For the life of me, I can’t remember the answer.


No comments: