Saturday, May 25, 2013

Good for the Soul


Confession is, that is. Went their earlier today. Undoubtedly, it is the second greatest sacrament left to us by Our Lord.

Anyway, took Little One with me. Partly at her mother’s request, partly mine. Seems she got into a tad of trouble a few weeks ago which ultimately resulted from exercising some poor moral judgment. At age eight, this is her third time in the penalty box, so to speak. But this is the first time she’s going to cleanse her soul for the sake of cleansing her soul, and not as a pre-cleaning for some other ecclesiastical ritual.

We arrived at the empty church right on time. After coaching her on the formalities of the Confessional (which may or may not have been necessary), I went in first. Ten minutes later I came out and an older gentleman sitting right behind her rose to go in. In the quiet of the church I shook my head at him, smiling, and pointed to my daughter. She left the pew and went inside. I sat down where she was sitting, right in front of the man.

“What! Even angels need to go to confession?” he said with good-natured mock disbelief.

Enough to melt the heart of the hardest-of-hearted fathers, let alone me, supremely proud of my little Little One.


No comments: