Friday, September 27, 2013

An Army at Dawn II


“The Apostles had formed several cells of secret agents with exotic noms de guerre (Mr. Fish, Sea Slug, Leroy the Badger) and imaginative covers (a onetime Foreign Legionnaire known as Pinkeye ostensibly worked as a black-market macaroni salesman). Leading the insurrectionists was “Black Beast,” Major General Émile Béthouart.”

- An Army at Dawn, page 107, by Rick Atkinson

* * *

Man, do I love this book so far. Similarly and intricately detailed as was Cornelius Ryan’s A Bridge Too Far, but eminently more readable. How exactly that’s defined, I can’t quite put into eminently readable words, so suffice it to say that for me, it’s true (though I will put Ryan’s classic through a re-read).

Anyway, I have a strange feeling that there will be an homage to Pinkeye, Mr. Fish, Sea Slug, and Leroy in a future fiction work from the pen of Hopper …

No comments: