Friday, February 27, 2015

Leonard Nimoy, 1931-2015


Argh!  My heart is broken!

I grew up watching Leonard Nimoy.  To this day I still DVR Trek to watch with the girls (we just viewed “Arena” two days ago) and youtube the In Search Of clips when I can’t sleep (as detailed in yesterday’s post).  I always identified more with Spock than Kirk, and Leonard’s voice mesmerized me as I explored Sasquatch, the Shroud of Turin, the Oak Island Mystery, the disappearance of Amelia Earhart, and a whole host of other paranormal and history’s-mysteries In Search Of stuff.  I recall watching the first Star Trek movie in an un-air conditioned house one sweltering July and being absolutely, one-hundred-percent fascinated with it.  Saw most of the other Trek movies – featuring the original cast – in the movie theaters as a teen and young adult.

Just a few weeks ago I watched an online interview where Leonard discussed his COPD and his smoking habit which led to it.  Though I don’t know when it was filmed my gut tells me it was fairly recent.  Hopefully his warnings will be heeded. 

The girls and I also watched Them! ­– the classic 1954 precursor of the big-bug wave of sci-fi flicks – just a few weeks back.  If you don’t blink you can actually get a quick glimpse of a young Leonard Nimoy as an army sergeant handing a sheet of paper to a secretary at the military base headquarters.  What disguises him is that he’s smiling.  How odd that is.  Makes me recall as a youngster watching the masterful, frightful remake of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers and being so off-put by seeing Nimoy’s pearly whites that it quite literally freaked me out.

Anyway – Live Long and Prosper, Mr. Spock!


“I am, and always will be, your friend” …


No comments: