Thursday, July 23, 2009

Website Update

Just a little observation that popped into my mind in the shower yesterday …

Starting a blog, which I did back in March 2008, is like NASA in 1961 launching a man into orbit. Daunting, never-been-done-before, possibility of humiliation. Keeping a blog up and running and somewhat interesting over the course of the next sixteen months I liken to putting a man into orbit, like John Glenn. Same capsule, a little more effort and ingenuity required.

Starting a website, especially one that you want to be proud of and bring back regular (initially modest) financial return, is like landing a man on the Moon and bringing him back.

Those who understand the analogy will nod with sympathy; those who don’t will just have to wait a few weeks ...

Plus I have the Kennedyesque deadline of August 1 to get it up and running. If it was my full-time job, I could. But since my full-time job is to care for two young children and look for a full-time job, I may have to relax the Go Fever a bit. Maybe a week, certainly no longer. Better to get it up and running and tweak it as time goes on, than to fall into analysis paralysis and never even hold it up for the whole world to see.

That’s my meta-thought on the blog.

No comments: