Saturday, October 17, 2009

Odd Intersection

Most people know that on November 22, 1963, President Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, Texas.

Did you know that C. S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley also died on the same day?

Weird, huh?

History Channel has been doing JFK assassination stuff all week, a month premature. Every November I usually read a book about the whole thing because I find it extremely interesting and highly improbable.

Did you know the official position of the U. S. government is that on November 22, 1963, a conspiracy did not take place (per the Warren Commission) and it also did take place (per the House Assassinations Committee).

Weird, huh?

I read a fair share of C. S. Lewis, though I don’t own anything of his. As far as Huxley goes, I read Brave New World, like we all did, in high school. Been thinking about picking it up if I see it in the used book stores. I hear our contemporary culture is becoming more and more similar to what Huxley wrote about.

Did you know that he once wrote, “Maybe this world is another planet’s hell?” I’ve often heard it formulated from a theological point of view, but that word “planet” gives the whole thing a very intriguing science fiction spin.

By the way, contemporary Catholic philosopher Peter Kreeft wrote a book about a dialogue between JFK, CS Lewis, and Huxley in the afterlife. It’s on my list to pick up …

No comments: