Friday, December 18, 2009

The Interplenum

Can’t believe I actually did this … but I did. Yesterday’s post about Lin Carter was on my mind all day. During a lull in the afternoon, the Little One at school, Patchie napping, I decided to skim through The Tower at the Edge of Time, recording every Capitalized Noun, all the Places, Planets, Peoples, Stars and Things. But not Proper Names – that would cross the line to complete silliness that I am currently tiptoeing on like an Olympic gymnast.

Why I did it, I can’t really say. Perhaps to compare how in-depth I got with my second book, which had a similar plethora of Places, Planets, etc. When you write such a novel, creating new worlds, new cultures, new peoples, you have to just throw any self-conscious silliness aside and jump right in. The more sincere you are, I believe, the more your readers will believe in the reality of the reality you are trying to convey. I think Carter pulls this off, say, eighty-five or ninety percent of the time.

This little … exercise? I guess … took me only a half-hour. The book, as I’ve mentioned several times, is on the short side. And nerdy lit stuff like this is, for me, relaxing, like doing a crossword puzzle or playing soletaire or plunking away on an acoustic guitar.

“The insectoid Ssu Entity” – now there’s a bad antogonist, no?



Peoples

Aealim (Time Wizards) / The Time Wizards of Aea
Star Rovers
White Adepts (or Wizards) of Parlion
Man-Spiders
The Chaos Lords
The Pseudowomen of Shuuth
Ormisians
Chadorians
The Iron Heart of Khali-Zoramatoth the Lord of Chaos
The Black Eye of Ygg
The Green Lion of Zarzamathool
The Arachnidae of Algol IV
The Mind Gladiators of Nex
The Machine Kings of Atrogon, the Robot Planet
The Sky Lords of Bartosca
The Sun-Stealers of Arlomma the Ice Planet
The Black Dragons of Nephog Quun
The League of Thirty Suns
The Nnermite Dissenters
The Serrelian Enigma
The Starmasters of Anthlamar
The insectoid Ssu Entity
The Robot Philosophers of Niomakh
The Aathoklaa
The Men Who Do Not Speak
The Double-Men of Niovoth
The Tensors of Pluron


Stars

Ghondaloom


Planets

Daikoona
Zha the Jungle Planet
Argion the Trader’s World
Valthome (e is accented)
Pelizon
Clesh
Athnolan
Delaquoth the Dreamworld / aka the Drug Blender’s Planet
Onaldus (“peaceful”)
Scather
Mindanell
Valdorm
Azmeryl
Besht
Harza
Bartosca (planet of the Tigermen)
Netharna
Bellerophon
Yoth Zembis the Black Planet
Shimar (in the Dragon Stars)
Gondilon
Faraz
Shazar
Mnom the Dark World
Phiolanthe
Xulthoom the Mist World
Yinglara, the Planet of Light


Places

The Fire Mists
Aanthor
Zotheera (city)
Third Circle of Goetia
The Wyvern Cluster of the Orion Spur
The Red Moon (or Jungle Moon) of Phiolanthe
The Black Nebula


Gods

Zargon the Measurer, Lord of Punishment and Reward
Thaxis of the Battles
Onolk the Spacegod
Maryash the Protector
Shalakh the Lord of Fortune
Malasquor of the Eleven Scarlet Hells
Arnam
The goddess Sinhi


Things

The Jewel of Amzar
The Carina Empire
The Interplenum
Sculptospheres


Ahhhh. Guilty pleasures!

1 comment:

CountingWizard said...

Thanks. I was making notes in my journal as well as I read along. I also recorded the names of all the technology used (e.g. ship types, weapons, etc.).

Your work was valuable to me in ensuring that I recorded everything. I'm writing a pen & paper roleplay supplement heavily based on this work.