Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Rabbit

I grew up watching Bugs Bunny. I remember my seventh grade morning ritual: wake up, get dressed, eat a giant bowl of rice crispies on the living room floor watching three episodes of Bugs. I saw them all easily a hundred times.

Just recently, the Little One located Looney Tunes on Cartoon Network mid-mornings. It’s weird that I have to explain everything to her. For the longest time she called Bugs “The Rabbit,” as in, “Hey Daddy, the Rabbit is running away from the fat witch!” She likes it so much I dug out an old Warner Brothers DVD someone gave me a few years’ back. Unfortunately, Warner Brothers in their wisdom does not sell DVDs devoted solely to Bugs Bunny, so half the disk features Sylvester, Tweety, that love-drunk Skunk, a big dog smitten with a kitten, and a couple others I never watched. But Little One watches them all.

As a side note, I cringe at how violent these cartoons are. Guess years of Care Bears and Little Einsteins and Handy Manny has desensitized me to cartoon conflict. I know that Bugs Bunny toons were never intended for younglings, but, hey, I watched them all as a little one and turned out relatively okay. Who’ll teach my daughter, I wonder, how to lure predators under that piano suspended by a thin rope five stories above?

Anyway, here are my Top 5 Bugs Bunny clips

Bugs vs the Shaggy Orange Monster
Bugs vs the Goofy Vulture
Bugs vs the Mad Scientist with Ether
Bugs vs the Hound Dog on the cold, snowy night
Bugs vs the Gremlin

Honorable mention: Bugs vs Pete Puma and Bugs vs the Bulldog in the green turtleneck sweater

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now we're talkin'

1. Little Red Riding Hare. "Hey Grandma. What big teeth you got... to have". "yeah, yeah big teeth, big teeth"

2. A Hare grows in Brooklyn. Dogpile on the rabbit. I believe that's the Bulldog in the green sweater.

3. Bugs vs. the orange Monster. "Monsters make such innnnteresting people"

4. Bugs vs. the Mob. If my friend rocky were in here, would i turn on the gas. "Ah you maight rabbit, you maight".

5. Bugs with Daffy Duck. Its duck season. its rabbit season. its rabbit season. its duck season. BANG. Ah pronoun problems.

Uncle

LE said...

Forgot about Little Red Riding Hood ... that one stands out, especially for those hot, hot coals and the merciless predicament Bugs and the Wolf leave for Red. Saw that one perhaps 30 or 40 times.