Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Jungian UFOs

Did you know that Carl Jung wrote a book about flying saucers?

This is something custom-made for LE.

Over the years I’ve had a slight interest in the writings and ideas of Jung, primarily in the late 90s, I think. Certainly nothing later than 2002, where I remember reading a few passages from a giant book of his at the apartment I shared with my new wife when the two of us used to have money.

Needless to say, the thought of Jung writing a book about the whole UFO experience has my mouth watering.

I’m itching to get more used books; so far I’ve read through four of the six I ordered six weeks ago. Perhaps next week I’ll place another order. The whole process is surprisingly inexpensive, so it doesn’t stress our limited budget, and I kinda enjoy waiting for the postman each day to see if one of my books have arrived. In addition to this book I’m trying to pick up something written by one of the old lions of physics half-a-century or more ago; something classically Catholic also out-of-print, written when no one knew what they heck PC was; and, of course, two or three paperback books from my youth.

This physics book I’m reading now, The Great Beyond, is just okay. Short summary: it’s about the search for a theory of everything (actually, a theory that unites gravity, electromagnetism, the strong and weak forces, and reconciles relativity with quantum mechanics) using higher dimensions. And it turns out it’s actually about that: the search, that is, not the theory. So I’m reading about this German scientist moving here, chatting with that German physicist, then both going there, chatting with Einstein, then a couple of Danish physicists doing this, thinking that, writing this, saying that. Then the Danish physicists meet the original German scientists. They all talk about Einstein.

That’s literally how I’m experiencing the book.

Anyway, very tired from shoveling us out for ninety minutes this morning, then bombarding the Little One with snowballs. On a good note, I’ve resumed work on my dormant website, resolved to work past the analysis paralysis that’s crippled me since September.

See you all tomorrow.

No comments: