Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Super Bowl Weekend


A few observations, not limited to the Super Bowl.

First, I’m not a huge football fan, and I don’t really care about either team, but I was kinda rooting for the Colts. Two reasons. One, I like the Manning brothers (I walked past Eli – right next to him – a couple of times but was never introduced to him). Peyton seems a genuine master of the game, from all angles, and I respect that. A lot. I figured he’d be unstoppable. And second, everybody was rooting for the Saints. From extended family members to Hollywood celebrities to the President of the United States. I have this weird personality quirk that when everybody’s pushing one way, I go in the other direction.

Suffice it to say it was a great game (which makes three exciting Super Bowls in a row if I remember correctly) and if any team deserved to derail Peyton, the Saints certainly did.

For the second year in a row, it was just me, the wife, and the two little ones. At least until halftime. I went to the grocery store earlier in the day, and during the game we feasted on pizza bites, potato skins, and jalapeno poppers. C chugged a few beers and I guzzled some Diet Cokes. Attentive readers of this blog will realize my inherent hypocrisy / weakness of will in light of a recent post on “diet”. But hey, the Super Bowl only comes once a year, right?

Best Ad – Budweiser human bridge.

Most Unbelievable Ad – The Green Police. Wow! This aired on CBS?

The Tebow Ad – What was “controversial” about this again?

Worst Ad – kgb.com. Not the ad itself, per se, but the name of the company absolutely floored me. It’s some sort of a search engine for your phone – I think. But that name is horrible. My first thought was, why not name your company Goebbels or Himmler? Oh, right. Nazi evil is rightly understood as the evil it is. Communist evil, well, that’s kinda hip and trendy, especially by those twenty- and thirty-something useful idiots with Che t-shirts and bumper stickers. It reminded me of an interview I saw a few years back of this histrionic American Olympic skater who proudly wore his red CCCP warm-up jacket for the cameras. The Corner at National Review has a couple of posts about the ad and company with a little more detail if you’re interested. See here, for example. My favorite line was “the first question you should text them is ‘how many people did the real kgb kill?’ ”

Half-Time Show – Pete Townshend – what happened? Well, I guess you’re 64, that’s what happened. I love you to death, and when I was growing up I listened to my uncle’s 8-track tapes of Tommy, Quadrophenia, and Who’s Next, and I have a CD collection of all your solo work. But please! Next time you play live, wear a t-shirt so your belly doesn’t flop out when you do your windmills!

Not much excitement at Casa LE over the weekend. Our feeding frenzy media convinced us all we’d get snow in substantial quantities, so I prepared for that (Ed. – when will he ever learn?). I bought $245 worth of groceries. Got the shovel and salt ready. And you know what? We got no snow. Not a single flake.

We’ve had our DVR recording over the past week so we watched a bunch of Craig Ferguson Late Nights, SNL, a Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares and Hillbilly Beast from MonsterQuest (guess which one my wife wouldn’t watch with me).

I took the Little One to B&N Saturday morning for story time and she got to see Clifford the Big Red Dog. Forgot the digital camera else there’d be a pic inserted right here. Then she made a valentine card and had a cookie and some hot chocolate. Wallflower loner me hated every minute of it (and having to mingle with disheveled hippie yuppie bohemian parents, each and every one with a Starbucks styrofoam in hand). But Little One was in nirvana – how can I deny her that? Afterwards we headed to a local library and I borrowed … wait for it … Keanu Reeves’ The Day The Earth Stood Still. I’ll have a lengthy post up later this week if it lives down to my expectations, which I’m certain it will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There ought to be a law that at some point you're too old to rock and roll but too young to die. Disconcerting seeing what looked like bifocals at the tip of roger daltry's nose. Guess he didnt die before he got old.

Uncle