Friday, February 26, 2010

Snow 2.0

Crazy day here. Just spent the past ninety minutes or so with the wife shoveling close to two feet of heavy, wet, slushy snow. It’s still snowing, too, though it’s not the penny-sized flakes that came down pretty much all day yesterday, beginning about 8 am. Power’s been intermittent, too; as a matter of fact I just lost the previous version of this post due to power outage twenty minutes ago. Now I’m hitting the save button after every sentence.

I did a preliminary shoveling about 4 pm yesterday, to little avail. Also came down with a cold, again, and I’m starting to lose count. Must be the sixth or seventh since my surgeries last February. I tried Zicam, but it made my stomach upset, so I’ve been downing Dayquil and quaffing all this herbal tea with honey. I feel okay considering, a little drained and a little foggy in the skull. And I’m also relegated to the couch and ordered to wash my hands every hour on the hour.

Late last night, after the kids were well asleep and the wife had turned in, my sick behind on the couch, finishing up a riveting chapter of George R. R. Martin – suddenly – all the power went out. I’m sitting in the dark, staring over at the eerie blue-white glow from the dining room windows. Then, two flares of bright white light illuminate the entire house, and then – darkness again. I wait five more minutes, then get up, and light some candles. Finish the chapter, brush my teeth, and get under the comforter, asleep by midnight.

Woke up twice during the night, saw power was on from all the blinking out-of-sync times on the microwave, stove, Bose wave radio, and DVR, but power was out again in the early morning haze, as Little One softly padded down the stairs. Wife and Patch came down, but I dragged my disease-riddled hide up to the bedroom and crashed for three straight hours. Got up at 11 or so, and went out and began the Great Digging Out.

Not much on the horizon today. Lots of hot chocolate and tea. Probably go through some library books I have, looking for miscellany to post this weekend. Oh, and by the way, I settled on a book of short stories by Robert Bloch, and already put three of them under my belt. Good reading.

Until then, stay warm and dry, if you happen to be in the northeast!



P.S. - a couple of glimpses outside my front and back doors ...







No comments: