Sunday, May 20, 2012

New Translation


I’m a traditionalist at heart, and I guess that makes me a conservative in my thinking, even in my thinking with the Church. Normally I’m not a big fan of Vatican II. To me, it was a watering-down of the special charisms of the Church by squishy liberals. Now I know that’s a generalization, and for every liberalizing effort down by Vatican II a liberal can show me something “conservative.” All well and good. But I’m still a fan of tradition because, well, there’s a reason things become tradition: They work.

So I’m in general agreement with the new changes instituted in the English translation at Mass six months ago. A particularly good example is that the “cup” is now referred to as the “chalice.” Ah, beauty! I also like that word, “consubstantial” in the Nicene Creed. Yes, we average Americans are not that dumb where we’ll run shrieking and trembling if you throw a four-syllable word at us.

However – and this shows I do keep an open mind – there’s one part of the new translation that I don’t dig. Consider –

OLD: Lord, I am not worthy to receive You; but only say the word and I shall be healed.

NEW: Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof; but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

I kinda like the old way better. To me, it’s more transcendent, as opposed to the earthly and literal feel to the new version. I am not worthy to RECEIVE You implies that the entire Presence of Christ is to indwell me, Eucharistically, and who is worthy of such a gift? I am not worthy that You should come under my roof would be something a first century disciple would say, especially one who lived in the Holy Land. At least, that’s the way it feels to me.

Also, I don’t like the fact that the new translation limits the healing to one’s soul. True, soul healing by far surpasses any other type of healing. But I liked how the old way included physical, mental, social, heck, even financial healing. I like that, and I need that. We all do.

Anyway, I’m nitpicking here. I was in a state of panic yesterday and this morning, because I went to the Church I confess at Saturday afternoon – and confessions were not scheduled! Outside the Church was a giant white Humvee limo and a muscle car! Noo! A wedding! I was panicking, because I want to leave the earth tomorrow evening – in the airplane, that is – with a clean and clear conscience. Pure as the driven snow. But my wonderful pastor and my Church was able to do a special anointing of the sick for me at the noon mass today (he’s aware of my lung issues plus he wanted to “heal my flying fears”), so cleansed I am, and I am grateful.

A pre-Paris travelogue preview tomorrow, and I’ll reveal what I have queued up for the Hopper for the five days we’ll be gone.

Peace of Christ be with you! As it is with me!

No comments: