Sunday, October 28, 2012

Bring It On, Sandy!


As you may know if you’re in the northeastern section of the United States, the Apocalypse is happening tomorrow. Er, actually, a category 1 hurricane is hitting New York. The media has done it’s job working the twenty or thirty million residents of the tri-state area into a frenzy. All that’s now left is for the actual wind and rain to fall.

We’re prepared. We still have batteries and candles leftover from Hurricane Irene September of last year. A battery-powered radio, a half-dozen flashlights, and matches. We have plenty of non-perishables, too: bread, soup, granola bars, cereal, apples. The laundry is all done. The yard’s been mowed for the last time this year, and I picked up three large bags of leaves. Checked all the gutter drains (all leading away from the house), cleaned the gutters over the garage (can’t reach the ones over the house), put all trash cans safely inside the garage. Took pictures of the house and yard from every angle, just in case.

Bring it on, Sandy!

The schools have all pre-emptively closed, so my wife has to deal with two unpredictable little ones on her office day tomorrow. Oh, and she still has to work on a presentation to be given in New York City on Wednesday. Me, I have to get to work early Monday, as early as possible. One of the things I do is payroll, and this is a payroll week. I have 165 employees who will be looking for a check on Friday, hurricane or no. I only hope my place of business doesn’t get flooded out or lose power. I don’t want to handwrite 165 paychecks.

Anyway, I will continue to blog daily so long as we have power here. Last year my house sustained no damage from Irene, nor did we lose power. The Halloween Snow Storm of ’11 was a different story, however, and we had no power for three days. We’ll see.

I’m hoping the only damage my lot sustains is a couple of tree branches strewn about the back yard. That, and only the minor-ist of strains to the wife’s sanity.

No comments: