Friday, October 12, 2012

Siegfried III Prelude


Okay … couple months ago I posted Tchaikovsky’s Sleeping Beauty waltz with the comment that it is the most dramatic piece of music ever written.

The following, if you dare click on it, is the most dramatic piece of music ever conceived by a human mind.

From Wagner’s opera Siegfried, the third opera in the Ring quadrilogy, the prelude to Act III …

Conducted by the Jimi Hendrix of opera, James Levine of the New York Metropolitan. Or if not Hendrix, then Pete Townsend (think Tommy Overture). Or even, I’d go as far to say, as a classical Billy Corgan (think something from Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness, on steroids).

In my three visits there, I have not seen anything conducted by him, much to my chagrin. But, hey, there’s always next year, right?

Go ahead – click on it, it’s less than three minutes, and the louder your speakers, the better …




No comments: