Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Benedict




So Pope Benedict XVI will be the first Pope in almost 600 years to retire.

Good for him.

At his age (85), without having a single day off in almost 8 years, a rest is both welcome and well-deserved.

Being of an introverted and, I like to think, intellectual bent, I always felt a stronger kinship to Benedict than John Paul II. Though I never made it all the way through two of his books (Jesus of Nazareth and God Is Near Us), it is unmistakable not to feel in the presence of a Great Teacher reading his words. He had a gentle yet firm demeanor that appealed to me. Watching and hearing him at one of the 9/11 anniversaries a few years ago, the wife and I were truly touched.

His successor will be determined before Easter. How exciting to be a Catholic at this time! Technically, it will be the fifth Pope of my lifetime, the others being Paul VI, John Paul I, John Paul II, and Benedict XVI, though I only really know JP II. Who do I think it will be? Have no idea, of course, though I would not mind an African Pope one bit – though the “front-runner”, Arinze, seems a bit old at 80. I definitely think a more youthful Pope is needed. JP II assumed the papacy at age 58 – I think something similar is called for here.

Whatever happens, it will no doubt be an extremely energizing and hopeful Easter season.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe it was a humble and honorable thing for him to do...wishing our aged legislators would take notice...God bless him and his successor