Sunday, February 17, 2013

Hatin' Comedies


How come the Oscars don’t honor the best comedy of the year?

By my reckoning, the last movie to win Best Picture that was a “comedy” was probably Woody Allen’s Annie Hall. (Not having seen the flick, all I have to go on is that vague, pseudo-psycho-encyclopedia – or compendium – of all I’ve read, with a retrieval access of maybe one in twenty.)

Why this hatin’ on comedies, Hollywood?

I can think of at least four movies which should have won Best Picture over the last fifteen years or so, all films I’ve seen in the theaters and all films I have doubled over in laughter most of the running time:


There’s Something About Mary (1998)

Meet the Parents (2000)

The Forty-Year-Old Virgin (2005)

The Hangover (2009)


Which movies actually won Best Picture in those years?


Shakespeare in Love (1998)

Gladiator (2000)

Crash (2005)

The Hurt Locker (2009)


I think the comedy should’ve won in, perhaps, three outta four of those match-ups.

Anyway, just sayin’

Something I just thought about standing, in the shower, thinking.

No comments: