Saturday, February 16, 2013

I Owe, I Owe


Well, for the first time in my adult working life, I owe the government money.

It’s not a lot, mind you, but it’s the principal of the matter. Two factors, mainly, made my family dip below the over/under tax figure. One, I claimed one more exemption than normal, so’s we could have a little more money in my take-home pay every week to help pay bills (mortgage, child care, groceries, etc). Two, the wife cashed in a small 401k account equal to a month’s pay for her, for the same purpose. Unfortunately, we discovered the investment company did not take out the ten-percent approximate tax when they transferred the balance to our checking account in September.

So, I owe Uncle Sam a little more of my hard-earned scratch. Gotta keep that expanding governmental juggernaut fed ever more and more.

It’s going to be a rough, rough four years.


* * * * *


Brisk twelve-bar blues, sung a la Robert Johnson sliding Led Zeppelin’s “Hats Off to Harper” –


Mr. Obama,

Please don’t take my money away!

Oh Mr. Obama

Please don’t take my money away!

Cuz if you do,

Won’t have none for a rainy day …


No comments: