Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Hebrews 12:1, 4


“Why then, since we are watched from above by such a cloud of witnesses, let us rid ourselves of all that weighs us down, of the sinful habit that clings so closely, and run, with all endurance, the race for which we are entered ...Your battle against sin has not yet called for bloodshed … ”

or, as I prefer:

Ideoque et nos tantam habentes impositam nubem testium, deponentes omne pondus, et circumstans nos peccatum, per patientiam curramus ad propositum nobis certamen: Nondum enim usque ad sanguinem restitistis, adversus peccatum repugnantes.

That’s some heavy, powerful stuff. Would that I heard a sermon on that line and that line only instead of all the puppies and unicorns love-let’s-talk-about-love stuff I hear preached ineffectually every Sunday.

It gives me shivers, and should for you to, if you really think about. Really think about it.

I think I’m about negative five percent of the way toward that goal. (If it is even a goal I can fully understand.)

No comments: