Thursday, August 22, 2013

OK, I’m Officially Old


The woman who works at the cubicle in front of me was chatting about her daughter, who just turned seventeen and just passed her driver’s test (in torrential rain, nonetheless!). Apparently, the daughter woke up and called asking to take mom for breakfast – at 10:30 in the morning. “Honey,” my coworker said to her daughter, “I had breakfast four hours ago. How about lunch?” “Mmmmm. No thanks. I’m too tired. I’m going back to bed.” And she did.

“She’s so crazy,” the woman added. “She has no clue how lucky she has it.” The daughter spent most of her summer on day trips down to the beach, hanging out with her friends to all hours of the night, coming and going as she pleases. Acting like a normal sixteen/seventeen year old.

“I wish I was seventeen again,” I said. She echoed the sentiment.

“It’s too bad youth is wasted on the young,” I pontificated, quoting an often-cited aphorism I’ve come across often.

OMG.

Did I just say that??

Did I ???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...on another aphorism...having just put my Granddaughters to bed after a full day of swimming at the lake, laundry, picking up, etc. etc...I admitted to being thoroughly exhausted and said to Grandpa..."I guess that's why we have kids when we are young"...and so it goes! BTW, we love every minute!