Friday, August 30, 2013

Labor Day 2013


Ah, let’s celebrate our Work with a Day Off! Paid, that is, and I’m all for it.

We’re planning on driving down the Jersey shore to stay overnight with my dad-in-law. He and the girls will go spend hours and hours and hours sweltering in the heat on the Atlantic sands. Me, I’ll be cozying up in the AC with a couple of good books (The Wilderness Campaign, The Day Christ Died, plus others). I’ll have my laptop, too, so I’ll do a bit of writing. If there’s an internet connection, I’ll blog; if not, you may not hear back from me until September 2.

Anyway, hope all is well with you. I do. We have Little One fighting a cold, but other than that we’re healthy. Physically that is; mentally, the verdict’s still out. Financially, well, let’s just say I could still use that 1.5 million I mentioned earlier. Spiritually, guess we’re okay. Socially, ay caramba! Too much on the Refrigerator Calendar. But I love you all, even though as an INTP / INTJ I don’t express it!

(Speaking of Briggs-Myers personality types, did you know that INTP / INTJ types represent 1 out of 50 to 1 out of 20 people of the general public? Yep. I’m a real unique character. But you could also say that you, no matter what you’re type, are one, too.)

So, hopefully World War III won’t break out in the Middle East with Pharaoh bumbling his way through an inconsistent and purposeless foreign policy. Read something witty earlier today: if we really wanted to hurt Assad, we’d send ’em Obamacare. My prediction is for a 75 percent chance nothing will happen, 25 percent chance an aspirin factory will be bombed. I honestly don’t think much will come to this. It’s just an attempt of our president to save face (“red line”).

Remember a few days ago when I was searching for something abstruse, complex, etc. at one of my local libraries? Well, I didn’t find it. But here’s what I’m looking for: an ancient language. Specifically, ancient Greek, ancient Hebrew, or Aramaic. A book by Victor David Hanson I’ve skimmed stated that prior to the, oh, 1960s or so, a rigorous education included several years of ancient Greek or Latin so that the Classics could be read in the original tongue. This appeals immensely to me. Also the fact that on the myriad of Catholic websites I peruse there’s always differing interpretations on the meaning of Biblical texts based on the meaning of the original Hebrew or Greek. For the longest time I’ve wanted to wade into that argument. So, the radar’s out on a book on the ancient Big Three languages. Though my slugging percentage with language is pretty darn pitiful (some Spanish and a speckling to a smattering of German, Latin, and French plus a few phrases of Russian, Czech, and, uh, uh, uh the Quenyan and Sindarin Elvish languages … )

Alright – enough of this! Have a great weekend! See ya later!

No comments: