Sunday, October 27, 2013

Detox Bonus


A by-product of my dietary detox week inadvertantly gave me bonus results: more free, productive time and a more positive outlook on life.

What is it, you ask?

Well, going in to the detox I realized I would be, uh, shall we say, a little emotionally volatile. Still had to go to work, interact with family and friends, coworkers and drivers on the road. But there was something I could do to help maintain an even keel. I went on a news fast.

So, since Sunday night, no Obama, no Obamacare, no Democrats, no Republicans, no culture war. These things invariably raise my blood pressure and, aside from voting in every election and living according to my beliefs, there's not a damn thing I can do one way or the other to influence them. Why torture myself? Why gripe, complain, moan and groan when the only thing doing so will really affect is my state of mind and state of health?

Over the past week there has been no online browsing of news sites, opinion sites, or cultural forums that I regularly visit. No watching political shows on teevee. No discussions with the wife or coworkers. Nothing. There has been a socio-political vacuum in my life.

And I feel great!

I highly recommend it.

No comments: