Friday, October 25, 2013

Halloween DVRings


So, in anticipation of a very scary lead-up to Halloween with Little One, I’ve DVR’d a bunch of spooky, creepy, eerie movies and TV shows. One of the few true joys I have right now in my life is laying on the floor amidst pillows and blankets (a “nest”, coined by my wife) with my nine-year-old daughter watching horror and SF movies. It’s like the passing of a torch, like a father teaching his son how to throw a baseball. Only more demented.

But age-appropriate. Patch, note, just turned five, so there may be a Godzilla movie in her future, but that won’t be until next summer or so.

Two weekends ago we watched Logan’s Run. I looooooved that movie when I was a kid. I remember being eight, in third grade, and buying the novel at the bookmobile, carrying it around with me all over, reading it over and over and wondering why it didn’t quite match up with the movie. Not sure how old I was when I saw it, but since we had cable back then, it was probably around the age of nine, too.

Anyhoo, she loved it. I hadn’t seen it in at least twenty (thirty?) years, and thought it quite dated, fake, phony, and badly-acted. But I still love the memories.

Here’s the line-up I got for the frightfest over the next couple of nights:

- A MonsterQuest episode pertaining to ghosts ...

- A Ghost Hunters episode where the paranormal detectives stake out an old, abandoned assylum. Little One has never seen a show like this, where they make all sort of night-vision recordings and all, and is super-excited about finally being able to watch one.

- The Tingler, the Vincent Price classic about a parasitic creature that hitches onto victims’ spines and feeds on fear. Never seen it before, so I’m looking forward to it, too.

- The Raven, the 1935 Karloff-and-Lugosi horror flick. Never seen this one either, but it looked creepy-good in the little summary page on my DVR screen.

- The Gorgon, a black-and-white Peter Cushing film about a man who discovers the new lady in town might be, er, Medusa. I have vague memories of being scared watching it as a child; I think I watched it since and was not too impressed, but for some reason, that memory, too, is vague. So we’ll give it a shot, given Little One’s affinities for Greek Mythology.

So that’s the viewing on our Halloween screen this year.

How about you???

No comments: